The Most Reverend Charles Eyre (1817-1902) was Roman Catholic Archbishop of Glasgow, 1878-1902.
Eyre was born in the north east of England and became an assistant priest at St Andrew's in Newcastle-on-Tyne in 1843 and a senior priest at St Mary's Cathedral there four years later. In 1868 he became titular Archbishop of Anazarbus and Apostolic Delegate to Scotland in 1868, then Apostolic Administrator of the Western District the following year. When Pope Leo XIII restored the Scottish hierarchy in 1878 Eyre became the first post-Reformation Archbishop of Glasgow.
Eyre's greatest contributions to the Roman Catholic church in Glasgow were the founding of St Peter's College in 1874 and of Notre Dame teacher training college at Dowanhill twenty years later. He was also responsible for the reorganisation of the city's parishes, and for commissioning many attractive new churches such as St Peter's in Hyndland (1901).
Reference: Mitchell Library, 920.04BAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Archbishop for the Western District and the Delegate Apostolic for Scotland, archbishops, Notre Dame College, Roman Catholic Church, St Peter's Church, St Peter's College, teacher training colleges