Angus Turner (1801-1876) was Glasgow’s Town Clerk from the 1850s until 1872.
Turner came to Glasgow from Edinburgh, where he had served as Town Clerk. He was not popular with councillors, who found him to be arrogant and obstructive – The Bailie reported that he was “cantankerous and stood on his dignity” and that he showed “contemptuous disdain” towards councillors. In 1872 he was persuaded to retire, encouraged by the award of a huge pension of £2,500. In his place, the Town Council secured the services of Edinburgh’s Town Clerk, James Marwick.
Reference: Mitchell Library, 920.04BAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning